Thursday 12 March 2015

Review- Miss Peregrine Home for Peculiar Children- Graphic Novel (Ransom Riggs + Cassandra Jean)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel

Synopsis


Ransom Riggs's haunting fantasy bestseller adapted to a graphic novel! 
As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive.

Goodreads.com


My Review 


This book was not what I thought it was going to be AT ALL. I’ve actually had little interest in reading the original novel form of this book, despite its surge in popularity a couple years back. Maybe it’s because I didn’t really care for the synopsis, it didn’t grip me and came off as a poor thriller-esque book. However reading a graphic novel is far less investment, so that’s exactly what I did.

Jacob is a teenager who grew up with his Grandfather telling him outrageous stories surrounding his childhood in a children’s home on a small island, supported with photo evidence of the wacky and weird other children he lived with. Jacob loves his grandfather’s tales until he becomes a teenager and sees them as ridiculously far-fetched. However after his grandfather’s death, he decides to visit the island of his Grandfathers childhood for himself, as a form of closure and what he finds there is definitely not what he was expecting.

This story completely blew me away. It turned into so much more than I thought it would be. Despite some of the difficult ideas around time-travel and looping that were introduced, it all made sense. I wasn't left struggling to figure out what on earth was going on, as I sometimes do in poorly explained YA with these elements.

The little blooming romance that developed was bittersweet in a way, you’ll know what I mean if you've read the story… or maybe it was just me who felt that way. But in its own way it was sweet and I liked that it didn't take over the story, and was just an addition which enhanced the characters.


The ending left on a bit of a cliff-hanger, which definitely entailed that there were far more adventures to come, which I’m excited about. Overall, the graphic novel, while merely a thoughtless addition to my library hall, blew me away and actually made me so excited to read the full book and its sequel. 



My rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to read this graphic novel ever since I saw that it came out. I didn't LOVE the book bc the pictures felt forced, but I was thinking... maybe they would flow better in a GN?? I'm glad you liked it. This is the first review I've seen for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...