Friday 7 February 2014

Review- Hopeless (Colleen Hoover)


https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1353489892l/15717943.jpg
Synopsis  
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

  - Goodreads.com



My Review


I must warn you that this is basically going to just be me gushing about the book, with very little constructive insight. You have been warned ;D

So this book basically tore my heart out, it was an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. 
There was, laughter, anger, tears, smiling, swooning, and more tears. The book deals with some pretty heavy and disturbing issues, which I would definitely not recommend to a younger audience (except if you think you’re mature enough to deal with it).


Sky, has been brought up in an unusual household. She is homeschooled for starters, she doesn’t have a cell-phone, TV or any technology for that matter, and in addition to this she is also adopted. However for her senior year, she has finally convinced her mum to let her enrol in public school. She’s expecting to have a whole year of senior year adventures with her best friend Six, that is until Six is accepted to go studying abroad. All alone, Sky experiences what high-school is really like, making an ally along the way, and catching the attention of the mysterious and enigmatic Holder.

Our main protagonist Sky is so amazingly strong, despite what has happened in her past. I can’t really say much about her other than that. She deals with the revelations of her life with strength and dignity, having to make hard choices over and over again.


“Sometimes you have to choose between a bunch of wrong choices and no right ones. You just have to choose which wrong choice feels the least wrong".
- Holder, Hopeless (Colleen Hoover)

As for Holder, I didn't like him much at first, his ‘bipolar’ (for lack of a better word’) attitude irked me. One moment he was flirting and smiling and then 2 seconds later he would be punching the crap out of a locker. But this also endeared me to his character, and made me want to find out what was going on his head. As the story goes on, we find out more about Holders past and the pain, guilt and hopelessness that he has been masking. As a reader, I definitely grew to love Holders character, he was complicated but in a good way and by the end he had me.

The relationship that develops between Holder and Sky, feels genuine. There is chemistry right from the start, and a lot of playful banter, but also a lot or arguing. I like that Sky doesn’t fall head over heels for him the instant she sees him, although there is instant attraction (and honestly if I saw him, I think I’d be instantly attracted too.) Despite finding him insatiable, she is wary of him, he's intense, moody and over-protective.



"He's moody,he's got a temper and...he's just...he's hopeless.I don't know what my type is,but I know I don't want it to be Holder.
– Sky, Hopeless (Colleen Hoover)

“He’s completely unreadable and even more unpredictable. It pisses me off”
– Sky, Hopeless (Colleen Hoover) 

As for the more disturbing and shocking parts of the book, I feel like the author wrote them with grace. She let you know what was happening during the scenes, but without making you feel more uncomfortable than you already were. (That's all I can really say, without ruining the story.)

Colleen Hoover has become one of those authors that I will instantly read, before I even know what the book is about. This book is one that will leave you emotionally raw, and wanting to curl up in the fetal position and cry for the injustices of the world. With all that said, I’ll leave you with one of my favorite quotes of the book...


"Fuck all the firsts Sky. The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers"

 – Holder, Hopeless (Colleen Hoover)

 **I haven't even really covered half of the reasons I loved this book so much. You'll just have to take my word on how AMAZING this book is and READ IT.

Things I loved about the book:

  • Everything. Sorry I can't be more specific than that :)
  • Ok I'll try and be more specific... the writing, Holder and Sky's romance, just Holder in general with all his dreamy, over-protective, broken, hopeless sexiness, Sky's hilarious friends Six and Breckin, the emotional strength of the main characters.

Things I didn't enjoy so much about the book:

  • I would have liked to know a bit more about Holders past, but I guess that will be more detailed in his book 'Losing Hope'.

My rating: 5/5
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this one. I keep meaning to read it, but for some reason it keeps changing positions on my TBR list - I will be moving it toward the top :)

    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...