Thursday 12 September 2013

Review- Of Poseidon (Anna Banks)

Synopsis  
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
 - Goodreads.com





My Review


I don’t have any particular feelings about this book. It was good, but not great, but also not terrible. It served its purpose of entertaining me, but didn’t leave me with the satisfied feeling I craved.

Of Posiden takes on a different mythical creature, the mermaid...or more specifically Syrena. Which is a nice change from the endless books about vampires and werewolves. So anyway the book is about Emma who we find out as the story progresses is part Syrena, with the unique ability to talk to fish. This ability means she is a descendant from the House of Poseidon, which is a big deal because our main man Galen is from the House of Triton, the opposing team so to speak. Dun, dun, dun.

The romance between Emma and Galen is pretty cute, if not a little reminiscent of Edward and Bella from Twilight. Galen is super overprotective/overbearing of Emma, which at times gets a little annoying. My biggest issue with the book, was the misogynistic society that Anna Banks created. I’m assuming it was intentional, but seriously some of the stuff was just plain wrong. What sticks out most for me is the practically arranged marriage that Galens sister Rayna was forced into. She had no choice of who her mate was, the fact was she never planned to mate with anyone. Yet her long time male friend decides he fancies her and goes behind her back to organize a marriage to her, which by the way she doesn’t consent to or even have to be present for. That just made me grind my teeth, and want to punch someone in the dick.

The book has some odd moments, which are unexpected an/or overly dramatized. Exhibit A, within the first 30 pages a character is torn apart by a shark. What the hell? It was so unexpected, and just seemed kind of wrong in a way.  Exhibit B, during a heated argument, Emma attacks Rayna and basically throws her through a glass door. I mean come on? However apart from these few things, the story was enjoyable. It had a certain mystery to it, that held my attention and the ending left on a cliff-hanger which makes me feel the need to pick up the next book. 

Overall a decent read, that will keep most people entertained with it's fast paced plot, full of unexpected plot twists. (Not suggested for extreme feminists)


Things I loved about the book:

  • The plot was interesting, and the story had an edge to it that enticed me to keep reading.
  • The cover. Oh my, it's so pretty.

Things I didn't enjoy so much about the book:

  • The only bog issue I had, as mentioned earlier, was the misogynistic Syrena society.

My rating: 3/5

Other Books in this Series:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...