Monday 27 January 2014

Review- Perfect Ruin (Lauren DeStefano)


https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1374826524l/17339241.jpgSynopsis  
On Internment, the floating island in the clouds where 16-year-old Morgan Stockhour lives, getting too close to the edge can lead to madness. Even though Morgan's older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. She tries her best not to mind that her life is orderly and boring, and if she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in best friend Pen and her betrothed, Basil.

Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially when she meets Judas. He is the boy being blamed for the murder — betrothed to the victim — but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find — or who she will lose..
.
- Goodreads.com




My Review

After reading multiple reviews of this book, I have come to the realization that there are very mixed opinions regarding this book, mine included. While I did find the book drawn out at times, overall I really enjoyed it, mainly due to the excellent detailed world building, and the unique story line.

The beginning started strong, with the murder of a teenage girl within the first 10 pages, and then the end was well worth the wait, setting the scene for the next book and leaving me wanting more. It’s the bits in between that could be a bit tedious. However although they were drawn out at times, Lauren DeStefano used her words wisely creating a very believable world, that was detailed so intimately.

She details how Internment came to be an island floating in the sky, she discusses how and when babies are born, which involves potential parents registering on a que and how each child born has a partner betrothed to them since birth. The inhabitants of Internment even have their own belief system with a God, and a bible of sorts. Every detail was woven so beautifully and created such a dynamic picture of the world and its people.

What I think I enjoyed most and really sold the book for me, was the stunning writing throughout the book, in particular the snippets from the murdered girls ‘blasphemous’ essay at the start of each chapter. The words were just beautiful and I connected with their meaning in my own way.


“We accept gods that don’t speak to us. We accept gods that would place us in a world filled with injustices and do nothing as we struggle. It’s easier than accepting that there’s nothing out there at all, and that in our darkest moments we are truly alone.” - Daphne Leander ,Perfect Ruin (Lauren DeStefano)


“Our bodies are burnt when we die. All the good in our souls live on in the tributary, while all the bad in us burns away forever. This frightens me. Who decides what is good and what is bad? Who decides what is saved and what is lost from our souls?” - Daphne Leander, Perfect Ruin (Lauren DeStefano)

Overall I felt like the entire book was written for the sole purpose of world building and setting the reader up for the next book which is going to be VERY interesting. I agree with many who say that the book was a little drawn out. But overall I felt that the world building and thought provoking prose was well worth it. However it’s definitely not something I would recommend to everyone.

Things I loved about the book:

  • The beautifully written prose. Especially at the start of each chapter.It just gave me shivers, how the character questioned things others take for granted.
  • How detailed the author was in creating 'Internment'. Every little detail seemed to be thought of.

Things I didn't enjoy so much about the book:

  • Besides the ending and the beginning there were bits in the middle that felt a little drawn out. Though they were still manageable, it just drew out the book longer than it needed to be.
  • It finished on a major cliff hanger. I hate when that happens.

My rating: 4/5
http://befunkycartoonizer.s3.amazonaws.com/C2236656-1367374863large.jpg 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely review, I love the quotes that you picked, they really demonstrate the beauty of the prose! I like books that take time setting up the world, thanks for your great review. I've wanted to read this book for a while but haven't heard much about it.

    Now following on Bloglovin!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for following :) This book was such an enjoyable read. Like you I like when the author takes time to develop the world, and Lauren DeStefano is amazing at doing that. If you haven't read her 'Chemical Garden' series I would also suggest checking them out.

      Delete
  2. I've been so curious about Ruin. And like you mentioned it seems to be a good match for readers who enjoy fantastic world-building and great prose, which sounds like something I might really enjoy. Nice quotes- they give a great sense of the writing style. Curious- was there any romance in it? Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. There were so many beautiful quotes it was hard to choose from haha. There is romance throughout the story although it wasn't the main feature. Throughout the book the main character Morgan's relationship with her betrothed develops and blossoms and it's really sweet to see how she grows more in love with him through the struggles and hardship of living on Internment.

      Delete
  3. I've seen several reviews and discussions about Perfect Ruin floating around the book sphere and I've seen several mixed opinions about it. But it certainly looks like something I'd enjoy, especially because the author really focuses on world building. I just read a book in which there was very little world building so perhaps Perfect Ruin will be my next book to read! Anyway, I just want to say that this is a great review!

    New follower via Bloglovin'

    Rhaine @ A Bookish Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world-building was what really stood out for me. Lauren DeSefano seems to think of all the little details that brings the world into 3D. Thank-you for visiting and following :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...