Sunday 15 February 2015

Review- The Trouble With Flirting (Rachel Morgan)


The Trouble with Flirting (The Trouble #2)

Synopsis


Labelled a nerd for most of high school, Livi sees her first year of university as a chance to redefine herself. She can finally enter the popular crowd and maybe even land herself a super hot boyfriend. But Livi’s about to discover that the price of popularity may be more than she’s willing to pay, and that what — and who — she wants most has always been right in front of her.
Goodreads.com


My Review 

This book was provided to me free for an honest review

While this book is technically the second book in the series, it can be easily read as a standalone. Which is exactly what I did with no problems.

The story itself is about Livi, who’s about to start University with the intention of redefining who she is. She has everything planned out, a sweet apartment with one of her high school friends, a new wardrobe and the motivation to shuck her old Harry Potter, Star Trek loving self. 

"Be cool, Livi. BE COOL. Salivating over hot guys like a groupie at a concert is not part of Project Ditch the Nerd."
- Rachel Morgan (The Trouble with Flirting)

To be honest when I started this book, I really couldn’t get into it. I wasn’t a fan of the writing, the main character was insipid and vain, desperate to fit in and shed her nerd girl reputation from high school. But I persevered, wanting to give the book a decent try, setting myself the goal of 100 pages.  However before then the book had already redeemed itself in my eyes. The writing grew on me and the plot began to form. While I still had moments of fury at the shallowness of the main character, I also grew to the realization that to a degree her character is probably a rather accurate depiction of most people at that age. I definitely remember myself starting University eager to change, be someone who was less shy and more outgoing.  Maybe it’s only now that I’m a bit older that I’ve learnt being who you are is more important and much more enjoyable than creating a facade. Of course Livi also learnt this lesson, which made her all the more likeable in the end.

Other than her superficial-ness, and the fact that she almost completely ditched her old friends for her new popular ones. I found a lot of similarities in myself to Livi. She liked to read, watch shows like Big Bang Theory and Firefly, and play xbox; the ultimate nerd, just like me. The romance that developed was adorable, I actually thought it was heading in a different direction at one point but I love how it ended. However to avoid spoiling it, I’m not going to say anymore.

"You know that place at the back of people's minds where they keep their secret fantasies? That's where I kept you Livi."
Rachel Morgan (The Trouble With Flirting)

Overall an accurate and realistic coming of age story, that depicts the struggle of redefining yourself just to fit in. Something I’m sure many young adults are familiar with in one way or another. 

Things I loved about the book:


  • I really liked that the author set the book in her own country. I’ve never read a book set in South Africa before, and it was a nice change.
  • Livi’s character was redeemed. When she started to realise that it didn’t matter what other people thought of her, becaue she already had some awesome friends, she became much more tolerable. 

Things I didn't so much like about the book:


  • The character was so annoying at the start. She was far too concerned with what made her cool, and how to get in with the popular girls. I can understand wanting to fit in, but it made the character too superficial. 


My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...