Tuesday 10 February 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (16)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the amazing Broke And The Bookish.


Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike In Romance Books



4 Likes

Sexual Tension- A slow build up, with good sexual tension is to me what a good romance is all about. It could just be a furtive glance here and there, or the way he smiles at her when she says something that amuses him.

Childhood Friends who fall in love- There is just something so adorably cute about a boy and a girl who have been friends for ages, and that moment when they finally realise that they’re actually in love with the other person .

Witty and Sarcastic Banter- I just love it when the guy and girl banter, it adds to the sexual tension. Especially when they are both under the pretence that they don’t like the other person, but we all know their true feelings.

Same sex relationships- I feel like more YA romance needs to have same sex relationships. I know it’s not for everyone and there are many different views on homosexuality, but I like that it’s starting to become a bit more mainstream in YA.



4 Dislikes

Overbearing/ overprotective Men- Ok so this is also one of my likes, but it just has to be done right. There’s a fine line between protective male and domineering jerk.

Love Triangles- Sigh, I feel like this was a real trend a few years back, but fortunately it seems like YA romance has started to veer away from this annoying plot twist.

Damsel In Distress- There is nothing worse than a girl who needs to be saved all the time….it’s called natural selection for a reason. The odd occasional saving is fine , but I prefer it when the girl is badass, and can stand on her own two feet.

Insta Love- This one’s probably going to be on many peoples list. I just hate it when the main characters first meet and it’s all googly eyes and racing hearts. I mean Bitch please, you don’t even know this boy…Grrr. 


What do you like/dislike in Romance books?

Ps. If you know what movie the GIF is from, you are awesome-sauce :P

16 comments:

  1. So yeah basically I echoed all of your thoughts. I especially love banter and childhood friends who fall in love. I forgot to mention both of those. :) here's mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Childhood friends.... there's just something about it that's super cute. I need to read more books that feature it, because it's definitely one of my favorites.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I agree with a lot of them, especially the "banter" one. All of my favorite character have had this trait.
    Here's my TT: http://betweenyabookends.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-85-things-we-likedislike-about.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be sure to check out your TTT :)

      Delete
  3. I pretty much feel that same way that you do on all these points :)
    Thanks for stopping by and following, I followed back!

    Courtney @ Storybook Slayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think insta love is a popular one this week. I'm not sure why it's so popular in books! I love a bit of banter in romances too. Great list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think I've seen insta-love on most peoples top ten this week. What's wrong with a nice slow-burning romance right?

      Delete
  5. Oh yes to the damsel in distress! Why can't the girl save herself? Or why can't the girl save the guy for once?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I much prefer a bad-ass main character who is independent. The damsel in distress thing gets old really fast. Hehe I like the idea of the girl saving the guy for once as well!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yeah, I think Insta-love is definitely something most people are getting sick of in romance.
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. YES!!! I love the banter, it can definitely get a little boring when all they talk about is how deep their eyes are lol Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I hate it when they talk about that kind of stuff , especially if they've known each other like a day! I mean come on, that's so unrealistic. But the bantering...oh my, it's so cute.

      Delete
  8. Lovely list!:) The childhood friends is one of my favourite ones because that moment when they both realise is so wonderful to read! I have witty banter on my list too:D - it just makes their conversations so fun to read and makes them so easy to love;) And yes- put perfectly- they don't even know each other in insta-love-.-
    Here's mine:) : http://anotheronceuponatime.blogspot.sg/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-romance.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the childhood friends one is my favourite too. I love reading it from both perspectives as well, when you know both of them feel that way about each other, but they're hesitant because they don't want to ruin the friendship, and you just want them to kiss already! Talk about the feels.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...