Wednesday 2 October 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (9)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the amazing Broke And The Bookish.


Top Ten Book Turn Offs 

A series that is way too long for its own good- I don’t mind a trilogy or a saga, but when the series keeps on going with no end in sight, it really annoys me.  

Love triangles- Ok so this is an iffy one for me, because I don’t completely hate them if they’re done right. If it’s a really obvious love triangle, and the girl is a complete wish washy idiot, who can’t decided because she loves them both then, it’s more than likely going in the trash. But sometimes I enjoy a nice subtle love triangle. 

Overly descriptive writing- I get that that tree over there is super awesome, but you don’t need to write a page about the way its leaves fall. I’m happy with description but not when it takes too long and hinders the pace of the story.

Overdone/Re-hashed themes- Ever since Twilight, books about vampires and love triangles have become overly abundant. I hate picking up a book and getting déjà vu. 


Vampires- As mentioned before they’ve been done to the death (don’t mind the pun), I think it will be a long while before I pick up another vampire book.

Whiny Characters- I like a strong female protagonist someone who kicks ass, and makes me want to be her when I grow up.  Whiny girls just make me want them to be taken out like the stupid girls in horror movies. 

Cussing – I don’t so much mind this as long as it’s used sparingly and in the correct context to make a point, but unnecessary F*%K’s and Sh@*’s , just for the sake of swearing doesn’t impress me.

A convenient ending, to a seemingly unsolvable dilemma- Sometimes it’s like writers haven’t really thought the plot the whole way through and when they get to the ending, their like “Hmmm, how am I going to get out of this pickle?” and then create the most obscenely convenient escape plan ever.  Eg. “He woke up sweating, it had been a dream all along....”



What are your book turn-offs? Leave your links below :)

3 comments:

  1. With regards to that last one, has that ever been done before? The whole "it was a dream" story line? I know in junior high/high school our teachers made it clear that when writing a story, that was NEVER a possible ending. So does that mean you've read books where the author has actually done this to end a book? If so, that's just pathetic... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I haven't read a book where it ended that way. I think I would probably burn the book out of frustration if it had lol. But there are some books I've read, where the ending just felt way to convenient, and not properly thought out. I can't think of any specifically, but then again I've probably banished them from my memory out of hatred :P

      Delete
  2. Over descriptive. I agree with that a lot. It's really boring... unless the book is simply that awesome, but most good books out there that are classics are so longgg.
    I guess I'm not a classics person.

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...